1) This week’s profile is dedicated to three types of cyclists. Each block simulates the domestique (the helper), climbers, and rolleurs (all rounder).

2) .The playlist contains two, 10 minute efforts. As we say, :Endurance is the hill.” Let’s learn to maintain our breath, not just lose it.

3) The Amgen Tour of California, America’s largest road race, is taking place this week. It’s a seven day stage race drawing many of the top riders in the world. I’ve attended the race the last four years. I’m sad I’m not there in 2019.
4) Here are some pics from past trips

5) Cadence and breathing are our foci for April and May. Cadence, breathing and resistance are the three main variables (bike position could make it four) you control while riding indoors. My goal by planning our classes around specific themes is to assist you in identifying (and remedying) areas for improvement.

It’s one thing to say, “That class was hard.”. It’s another thing to understand that in our second ten minute push, you started to have labored breathing around the 6 minute mark because you decided to come out of the saddle prematurely. I always enjoy talking to riders about ways to improve and am thankful you are wiling to share success and failure with me. A recent NYT article discusses the positives in discussing failure. It’s much more impactful than being told how great you are every class.
6) Breathing is the most difficult of those variables to control. If you have a fitness tracker or heart rate monitor, the process is a little easier. Check out this piece I wrote for Under Armour on metrics and heart rate:

Research purports cyclists with low watts (50) and cadence higher than 110 spend up to 60% of their energy just spinning their legs. Leaving only 40% for overcoming resistance.”

7) . Here are the notes for the profile. If I can be of assistance in helping you understand my notes, LMK.
8) A recent article criticizing the indoor cycling industry speaks to the lack of resistance in many classes: I posted it on a few indoor cycling Facebook groups. As normal, the “I’ve been teaching for 10-20 years” crowd were the most defensive in their commentary. My European colleagues seemed to be the least bothered by the article. They actually read it.

When you spin at a low resistance, you’re not likely to create the kind of deficit that would help shed pounds. There’s also the danger of making resistance too high. Hackney said the optimal setting for energy expenditure is around 80 to 90 revolutions per minute — a pace that’s difficult to keep when the resistance is cranked up.
— Business Insider

9) I think everyone knows what a climber is . . learn a little bit about the domestique — the helper. There’s a new movie, Wonderful Losers that gives a great look at this role.