Five days til the ride. We will be doing route 66, here's what it says on the WABA website:
This year, in honor of the 15th the 50 States Ride, we have developed a third route: Route 66: This new route tours the eight streets named for states that the original US Route 66 passed through. You’ll ride these states in geographical order, east to west, without riding on any other state streets in the District. At 35 miles long, Route 66 is a middle distance option between the two classic routes. Don’t worry, there are still plenty of hills. Welcome to the new American road trip!
As you know, I'll be marshaling the ride and will lead our pack. We can leave any time between 8.30 and 9. My plan is to get there between 745 and 815. We'll form a pack and take off. Here's the WABA rundown of our route:
Route 66 (±35 miles)
- Check in: Walter Pierce Park, 8:00am – 9:00am
- Rolling start: Walter Pierce Park, 8:30am – 9:00am
- Pit Stop 1: Anacostia Park (mile 17), open 8:45am – 11:30am
- Pit Stop 2: Lunch at Eastern Market (mile 21), open 10:30am – 2:00pm
- Pit Stop 3: Signal Financial at City Center DC (mile 24), open 7:30am – 1:00pm
- Celebration: Mellow Mushroom in Adams Morgan, open 12:00pm – 6:00pm
I suggest riding (or Metro) to the event. Parking sucks in Adams Morgan. I'll plan a couple of rest stops. QUICK ONES! The hope is to pedal 13-15mph.
It might rain:( . Bring a bike that you feel comfortable with. This will not be a fast ride. Bike handling and comfort are most important.
Please send me an email. I will send you my mobile and send you the meeting place.
I'm looking forward to it.