This interval-based playlist** was used the week of May 27, 2018.
- The week after a 3 day weekend is usually a theme ride. So here's the Austin City Limits (2017) playlist. I'd be curious to know if you have a favorite track . . . please comment below.
- It's a HIIT playlist with lots of intervals and sprints. Here are 5 Rules to Maximize Interval Training. In short, GO HARD!!!!
- Remember, the goal is to introduce stress and fatigue to your cardiovascular system, allowing it to cope under duress. Your body eventually adapts and grows stronger (within means) as a result.
- Recovery is important. Equinox' online magazine Furthermore has some great articles on recovery. Muscle overuse doesn't do the body good.
- If you want to go deeper, check out the Principle of Progressive Overload -- this article does a nice job tying that concept to cycling.
- Another goal of interval training is to optimize what cyclists call the sweet spot. That space where cadence, resistance, and effort generate optimal fat and calorie burn.
- This graphic does a great job describing the sweet spot:
8. Remember the story of 42-year-old gold medalist Kristin Armstong. She reminds us cycling is about cardiovascular capacity, not explosiveness.
9. Wanna ride outside? The Armed Forces Classic is in 2 weeks. Go watch the pros AFTER you put in some laps. They even time your laps and send you stats post-race!